RE: Sealing documents for a fabricator

Joe,

As I said below, a lot depends if the fabricator is going to submit your calculations to a building department.  If you are absolutely sure the fabricator will never submit your calculation and you are just giving them a small comfort feeling of their design then you might be OK.  However, if your calculations go to a building department then your licence must be in the state the item is erected.  There use to be a list participant who worked for a precast concrete yard and he had a license in every state.  It was a nightmare for him keeping tract of all the due dates, fees, and education credits.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Joseph R. Grill" <vveng(--nospam--at)cableone.net>
09/10/2010 11:08 AM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
RE: Sealing documents for a fabricator

But….I would be doing calculations for the “basic design” for the fabricator.  He needs somewhere to start, if that makes sense.  He shouldn’t have to look for an engineer licensed in 50 states to start his project or get designs from a number of engineers before he starts.  If he understands that he will need additional engineering for specific sites or jurisdictions that should be his responsibility if he understands that my analysis is only good for the state for which the documents have been sealed.

Sort of like a PEMB.  They have their basic designs and then are checked, “tweeked” then sealed for actual locations.

Wrong?

Joseph R. Grill, PE
Verde Valley Engineering, PLLC
If your project is in the mid-West for East Coast the building official may not care but on the West Coast, if you are going to be stamping the calculation and drawings, then your license will need to be for the state that the stack is erected.  Also, if your calculations are going to be submitted to a building department then you will have to include all code required loads which would certainly include wind AND seismic.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.

Fluor

"Joseph R. Grill" <vveng(--nospam--at)cableone.net>
09/10/2010 10:19 AM

Please respond to seaint

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Sealing documents for a fabricator

Several months ago this question was asked and I am not sure I remember the responses.  I am checking lateral for a self supporting steel stack for the fabricator of the stack.  I am licensed in the state that the fabricator is located, but the stack may be sold and located in states that I am not licensed.  I believe this is fine and will inform the fabricator that he may have some additional engineering costs if the stack is located in a state that I am not licensed.  I can check wind, and will also inform the fabricator that there may be additional costs for a seismic check.

Any comments?