AISC 13 section E6

I need a little clarification.  13th edition of AISC section E6 is for built-up members.  I don’t think this is for a column fabricated of welded up plates, is it?  A compression member fabricated with fully welded plates would fall into section E4.  If I am correct (the commentary states “stitch welded” members) what type of compression members are covered in E6?  A lattice column or a plate column that is stitch welded?

Thanks,

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, PE

Verde Valley Engineering, PLLC