Re: Collateral - Dead or Live?

Jim,
Think of the effect to know how to apply it.

Dead load is there permanently. That is, it is the materials of the designed
assembly (until somebody renovates).

Live load is here today, gone tomorrow and moves around in the meantime.

Collateral load is somewhere in between. Once it is installed, it is
probably there on a long term basis (years). We may not be certain about
exact location at the time of design but we are usually relatively confident
about the general magnitude of the load.

Therefore, it is reasonable to use Dead load factors but consider the load
combination effects with and without the load as with a Live load.

So put me down for yes and yes.

Regards
Paul
--