From: Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. [mailto:design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:49 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Seismic Loading on basement walls

Fellow Listers,
I am hoping that some one who lives in shakey country can help. All of a sudden seismic design of residential basements walls has arisen here in not so shakey Ontario.  A fellow engineer called me as he had his sealing of drawings of a residence with 9 ft high basement walls questioned by a member of the BMEC (Ontario quasi government body, the Building Materials Evaluation Commission).  Beats me why such a person would even be involved because usually the local municipal building department only reviews such drawings.  The Ontario Building Code has a section on "housing and small buildings", i.e. under 600 sq m and 3 stories or less ( a presciptive section) which allows plain concrete basement walls up to 8 ft high. As soon as the wall is more than 8 ft high, it has to be approved by an engineer. Hence this problem arose.  He did call for reinforcing, but he wasvquestioned on seismic loading. I am hoping some of the helpful members can point me in the right direction to publications on this or give some advice.
Gary