Re: other forums, continued...

I have been following this thread with some interest.  In my view, the SEAINT list is neither dead nor dying.  It just has a lot less participation than in the past.  There are several possible explanations:

1]  On November 24, 2009, Professor Abolhassan Asteneh-Asl posted a message which threatened legal action against "the officers of SEAINT".  Six days later, the SEAINT list went dark.  Coincidence?  When the list came back to life on or about January 3, 2010, there were very few participants (apparently limited to those who had re-subscribed).  Nine months later, participation is still a fraction of what it used to be.  Many of the previous participants probably still think that the SEAINT list is either dead or tied up in some sort of legal purgatory.

2]  The recession is longer and deeper than anyone anticipated, and nowhere is it more severe than in the building business.  According to the U.S. Department of Commerce and as reported in the September 20, 2010 ENR, comparing year-to-year building construction from July 2010 to July 2009, hotels are down 59%, private office buildings are down 40%, factories are down 33%, and other commercial buildings are down 30%.  Considering how bad 2009 was, those numbers are absolutely startling.  Since most SEAINT subscribers try to make their livings as building designers, it is likely that they have reduced their participation in the SEAINT list in order to devote more time to marketing their services.

3]  Younger engineers have certainly embraced Facebook and Twitter for social networking, any many prefer IM to email, but they were never the ones who used the SEAINT list for socializing in the first place.  If I recall correctly, the vast majority of "off-topic" posts over the past decade came from engineers well over 40 years old.  Some were notorious, but none were young.

I am 63 years old and I have no intention of leaving the SEAINT list.  As long as Harold Sprague continues to post his knowledge, I will continue to read and learn.  Like Harold, I still have my slide rule.  I also have a drawer full of calculators.  However, the only gadget that I carry with me any more is my Droid.  Yes, I sometimes IM, but mostly with my kids and grandkids.  Thumb-typing just isn't very satisfying.  I have no interest in any form of electronic social networking, so I am not frustrated that my employer bans Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc.  I don't want a listserv that includes photos or other attachments.  My email already delivers too much clutter every day.  I prefer messages with optional links to online photos, like Bill Allen used to post.  I also have no interest in company profiles and job postings.  Sorry Jeremy, but there are other established forums for that.  Finally, to organize SEAINT list postings by subject, I simply use Gmail in conversation mode.  It works great and it is completely free.

Bottom line:  if the perceived value of the content on the SEAINT list improves and the ecomony recovers, participation will eventually rebound and the world will keep spinning.

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E., SECB
Richardson, Texas

A SCIENTIST studies what is.

An ENGINEER creates what never was.

                    …Theodore von Karman

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:
Give me a break about the death of e-mail.  I still have a slide rule and I use computer punch cards.  OK, my slide rule is a bit dusty, and I use the punch cards as book marks;>)

Regards, Harold Sprague