Re: grout in lieu of conc.

Joe,

Yes, you could have problems.  The smaller the aggregate used the more cement is required to achieve the same concrete strength.  With more cement your mix will become hotter (i.e. a big issue with mass concrete), shrinkage cracks are more likely, and the mix could cost more.  From a structural engineering viewpoint you always want to use the largest aggregate possible however from construction's viewpoint they always want to use the smallest size aggregate possible.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Joseph R. Grill" <vveng(--nospam--at)cableone.net>
10/11/2010 04:46 PM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
grout in lieu of conc.

I have a contractor that wants to use a pea gravel grout in lieu of regular aggregate concrete due to pumping reasons.  In all my years I have never been asked this.  At first thought I can’t think of a reason why not. Any reasons why not or anything else I should watch for?
Thanks,
Joe

Joseph R. Grill, PE
Verde Valley Engineering, PLLC