smaller aggregate mix

Joe:

I'm no concrete expert by any means, so I am sure Harold has some more
info, but couple quick points:
1. Larger aggregate occupies more volume, so there is less room for
the concrete to shrink. This PCA article doesn't mention this fact but
discusses the compressibility of aggregate and other effects on
shrinkage.
http://www.cement.org/tech/cct_floors_shrinkage.asp

2. Think you said this is for a small pedestrian bridges, not sure if
that means this is a slab on deck? The shape is pretty much that of a
sidewalk, so you are worried about shrinkage in the long direction and
cracks in the short direction. I would think either longitudinal
shrinkage reinforcement or CJs should take care of it.

HTH,
Andrew Kester, PE
Florida