Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: ASCE7-05 Question

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]







From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2010 11:51 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: RE: ASCE7-05 Question


If you are designing the piping, use Table 13.6-1.  If you are designing the support structure for the piping and the support structure is supported at grade, use the table in chapter 15, and use the appropriate nonbuilding structure type. 

Regards, Harold Sprague


Subject: ASCE7-05 Question
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:04:04 -0700
From: slakhani(--nospam--at)
To: seaint(--nospam--at)

Dear all,


Chapter 11 (pg 109) defines Building as any structure whose intended use includes shelter of human occupants. Is it the only difference between a building and

nonbuilding structure?.


I am designing a 24 inch water main about 150 ft long fixed at end supports and restrained in vertical direction on 7  intermediate saddle supports.

Should I consider R value 1.25 for last item table 15.4-2 or,


Should I consider it as a distribution system per Table 13.6-1.  ( ap= 2.5 Rp=12  for welded steel pipe).


Thanks in advance,


Sid Lakhani