SOG 2

Short additional question. It seems most pool decks that I can
remember use a PVC insert joint that in essence forms a control joint
as it is inserted into wet concrete and forms a weakened plane. This
must be more economical than a sawcut joint that then has to be
filled, which for a pool deck is also not aesthetically suitable in
most cases. The depth of these would be greater than 1/4 slab
thickness, according to the one on the link it may be 1-5/8" tall
which is over 1/3xt. I would think they would be better because they
are placed when the concrete is wet while a sawcut joint is placed
after the concrete has set and hardened enough to be walked upon...
Basically it behaves like a partial depth isolation joint and control
joint mixed together.

Example:
http://www.deckoseal.com/792.htm

Thanks in advance,