RE: BIM Prevalence

We are a small structural engineering company and we have yet to come across the use of BIM by any of the architects that we have received work from. My take on the whole BIM software is that it is geared more toward larger projects, high rises or large facilities. For residential structures I really do not see that much of a use for it…in the real world. I am sure there are a lot of academic types that think this is great but in reality its use for smaller projects might not be the best approach.

If I am wrong please feel free to shed some more light on the subject.

Erik Gibbs

From: Alexander Bausk [mailto:bauskas(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:21 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: BIM Prevalence

Dear Listers,

we here have been having a discussion about building information modeling and its prospects on the CIS martet.

Now there is this 2009 McGraw-Hill survey stating that the use of BIM has surged to almost 50% among US professionals

I have some reservations about these data as they seem to be skewed towards architectural community where BIM is more common.

I'd be thankful if you shared your opinion about how you esimate BIM penetration in the US based on your environment.

TIA,

Alex.

Alexander Bausk

MSc Structural engineering, Ph.C. Engineering

http://bausk.wordpress.com
ONILAES Lab at PSACEA
Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine
Tel. +38 068 4079692