Opinion - Cores in Hollow Core Planks

Good Morning All,

I needed your input on an existing condition. I performed an inspection at a building site where 3 partial cores were put in the wrong place.  The planks are 8” x 4’, thus the reinforcing strands are located 6.5” from the top surface, per the PCI manual.  The deepest core went down to the 6.5”, but I did not note that any strands were cut.

I went through the PCI manual and did not discover any red-flags for the scenario where the strands have not been cut.  So, I was planning on recommending that they grout the cores with 5000 psi grout or greater.  The client is asking for calculations, but I don’t see the necessity.

Do you agree with grouting the cores as the solution?  If so, can you think of any calcs I can provide?  Thank you all in advance for you input

Krup Kolandaivelu, P.E.

Pennsylvania