Re: Brick ties

Approx 5 years ago, I worked on a church built in the early 60s with horizontal cracks in the interior block walls. We decided to reinforce the walls with vert rebar. We chose to do it by reinforcing from the outside by removing the brick veneer, so that way there would be no interference with the church services. Turned out the brick was tied to the block by truss type horizontal reinforcing in every other course. A lot of it was corroded after 45-50 years. We reinforced the block and replaced the brick, tied with new heavier gauge galvanized ties. What was unusual was only the west wall, adjacent to the parking lot, was cracked. The east wall had no cracks. I could only guess that the prevailing winds from the west and the open space created the problems in the west wall.
Gary