Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Advanced rubble concrete

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

We used to call that cyclopean concrete.  I’ve seen drawings from the late 1800’s showing this type of concrete used for seawalls.



From: Alexander Bausk [mailto:bauskas(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2010 11:56 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Advanced rubble concrete


Dear listers,

i have been listening to the current ACI sustainability webinar and the presentations somewhat bug me.

There is a, ehm, new material being proposed said to be developed in China called Rock Filled Concrete with heavy research and marketing associated.


Now there is rubble concrete, a concept older than dirt. It is pretty obvious that rubble (ie rock-size aggregate) concrete should be filled with plasticized concrete mix to ensure adhesion and void fillup.

So it seems to be basically an old technology labeled with a three letter acronym derived from another three letter acronym.


I'm ready to stand corrected if this concept occurs to be really new and advanced. Is this doubt just a shadow of former experience with academic research and its ability to astonishingly proliferate with just a couple of new terms thrown in?




Alexander Bausk

Civil/Structural design & inspection engineer, CAD professional

MSc Structural engineering, Ph.C. Engineering
Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine
Tel. +38 068 4079692
Fax. +38 0562 470263