Re: china high speed rail

Dear Irv,
           Modern electric trains like the shinkansen use regenerative braking to return current into the catenary while they brake. This method results in significant energy savings, where-as diesel locomotives (in use on unelectrified railway networks) typically dispose of the energy generated by dynamic braking as heat into the ambient air. And wrt to the data available-
Cars use around 32-36.6 MJ/Lit-capacity 4
Airlines use around 1.4 MJ/passenger-km capacity 49
HSR use around 0.15 MJ/ passenger-km capacity ard 300-400

Difference is quite visible !!

Regards.