To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2010 8:15 AM
Subject: aluminum pedestrian bridge

I would like some opinions on this, please CC me if you would at
akester74(--nospam--at)gmail.com

A client has asked us about a possible project. They are a steel and
alum fabricator. It is a 30ft pedestrian bridge for golf carts and
people, no vehicles, spanning over a canal. It is alum because its
near the ocean. We have quite a bit of alum design experience, and
have done small pedestrian bridges and docks out of wood for parks
that we designed per AASTHO.

I assume with this span we can straight span it with I-beams. Then it
is a lot of detailing of handrails, lateral bracing for wind, etc. The
only thing that gives me a little bit of pause is if they end up
wanting some type of truss type bridge (probably not necessary at that
span and loading, but maybe), and vibration analysis...

Do you think this is something we can handle without having specific
alum pedestrian bridge experience?

Also, if you have specific experience with this type of structure and
would like to possibly consult (no heavy lifting, guidance and maybe
plan review), let me know privately.

Thanks in advance for your input,
Andrew