From: Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)fluor.com [mailto:Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)fluor.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:54 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: plate washers on anchor bolts

Paul,

This has been an issue for many years.  You are absolutely correct that the large plate washer at the bottom of a headed anchor bolt can actually cause more harm than good.  I think there are those who feel uncomfortable with relying on just the head of the bolt or tack welded nut and think the plate washer is just a good "belts and suspenders" approach.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor