Re: Hand rail Post -200 lbs lateral load Design

Assuming the 200# is at 42", the 1" round pin (Fy=36 ksi) won't work.  Can you use a stronger steel for the pin?

On 11/18/2010 5:01 PM, Alex Nacionales wrote:
Dilip,

  I did not check the math on this but if 1-1/4" hollow section works then the 1" dia round bar should have bigger section modulus thus should also work. To check I would treat the round bar like a cantilever beam and check stresses from the maximum moment.

I hope this helps.

Alex

----- Original Message -----
To: seaint
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:46 PM
Subject: Hand rail Post -200 lbs lateral load Design

I need to check & approve a hand rail post with 200 lbs lateral load at top.
The post is 1-1/4" square x 11 ga with 1" x 8" long insert at bottom.(4" into square post)
The 1" solid round bar will be placed into 1-1/2" diameter x 4" deep drilled hole in concrete slab & filled with grout.
The 1-1/4" (ASTM A36) post works, however 1" diameter post do not considering the round bar will have maximum moment, just below the slab line.
Any practical way to design check this condition ?