Eccentric Loads on Welds

I'm looking at the weldment of an aluminum post to a plate.  Apart from the
heat affect on the post alloy I am looking at the weld itself.  I find that
for the example I am working on , that a simple flange weld is inadequate
and I am considering the calculation for the weld all around the post
section.  That requires consideration of eccentric loading but the handbooks
etc only give examples for a plate welded to a plate.

Can I assume that the "plate thickness", 't' can be the dimension of the
post?

Thanks

Thor A. Tandy P.Eng

Victoria, BC