RE: new cbc / labc

So we have to install sprinklers in California residences now?

From: Richard Hess [mailto:RLHess(--nospam--at)HessEng.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 11:37 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: new cbc / labc

Paul,

I am glad you asked.

Give me a couple of weeks and I will describe some of it.  In general, it consists of a lot of corrections to what was mistakenly put in the 2006 IBC. It adds to the confusion by having the IRC which may or not be applicable to what someone is trying to build and it includes a lot of references to other “how to do it” books like ASCE 7 with over 100 R values, for instance, so that building officials can spend more time at training sessions  to see how the local “thought collective” interprets the additions.  All in all, it is a great boon to the smart capitalists who market seminars on the subject.

I look forward to the day when I can submit some calculations and pretty 3D renderings  with software produced by people who have never designed so much as a dog house for plan check and not have to stamp and sign them so long as they include all the Greek letter factors identified in the “code”.

Yes, I am a member of the SEAOC Code Committee and do what I can to make it better.

Richard Hess, S.E. #1562