re: peat- Thor

Thor,
Is peat in BC more stable? You also mentioned clay? I know we are on
opposite corners of the continent and our geology is very different,
but I deal with problematic soils every day and those are two of the
worse (expansive clay and peat/organics).

Had a job where a 20 year old house built about 25 feet off a man-made
canal had apparent settlement damage. A floor elevation survey
indicated a 5 inch slope towards a corner of the house where a boring
indicated a large depth of organic/peat soil. Standard slab-on-grade
with monolithic edge footings, "luckily" its mostly wood frame with
siding so the exterior damage is limited.

Just curious about your project since here those soils are either
over-excavated and then clean sandy fill is brought in, OR you go to
piles...