RE: Modulus of Subgrade Reaction

I have an old muskeg engineering handbook that says that peat is
basically a elasto-plastic material, and that it doesn't begin to
exhibit elastic properties, such as they are, until appreciable
deflection has taken place. I'm not so sure you can really predict a
subgrade modulus. It would be pretty low (think quicksand).

Jim Lutz, PE, SE
Senior Structural Engineer
BHC Consultants, LLC

1601 5th Avenue, Suite 500
Seattle, WA  98101
Ph: 206-505-3400
Fax: 206-505-3406
www.bhcconsultants.com

This email and all attachments are confidential. For further information
about emails sent to or from BHC Consultants or if you have received
this email in error, please refer to
http://www.bhcconsultants.com/Email+Disclaimer+/default.aspx