RE: Modulus of Subgrade Reaction

What’s a “temperature anchor”?

From: Bill Cain [mailto:bcainse(--nospam--at)live.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:17 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Modulus of Subgrade Reaction

Thor-

Don't forget the impact of oxidation of the peat type soils. I'm working on a project in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta where temperature anchors for a major water supply aqueduct show oxidation of the peat of 11-15 feet (yes, feet) over the past 82 years. This has resulted in the exposure and rotting of the tops of timber piles supporting the temperature anchors.

Peat is a weird material and normal soil behavior doesn't seem to apply.  I hope you are not planning on long term support by the peat. Oxidation could cause huge "settlements".

Bill Cain, S.E.
Berkeley, CA