From: ggg(--nospam--at)bigpond.net.au
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Metrodome roof collapse video
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 07:29:37 +1100

Thank you, Scott, for such an interesting tidbit.

From outside at least it looks like a classical snap-thru failure.
The designer must have over-estimated the load capacity.
It seems that the structure consists of a metallic mesh with inflatable cells between them.
It is unlikely those cells have much contribution to over-all stability.
I would bet that the circumferential ends of the metallic elements are damaged,
one way or another.

Sincerely

Gregory from Oz.