Re: Steel Design Program

I'm not sure if a FEA solver is what you need (it isn't steel design after all) but maybe you could make use of one.
We here have some sort of a consensus that Wolsink's Framework 3D is a good investment of time and effort if you need 2D and 3D frame systems.
http://members.ziggo.nl/wolsink/
It is actively developed by an engineer and has contour plot capabilities and other neat stuff, all of it freeware. See screenshots via link.
I'm not aware of any AISC or similar checks (Eurocode checks have been embedded so far) but for simple members, feeding the results to a spreadsheet might be enough.

Regards