Re: Vacation Problem!!!

Even before I called Dennis, I was basically 100% sure it was phishing email scam...this was even at about 7 am or so when I got it on my smartphone and before I had a chance to open it up on a computer and look at the Internet headers.  Even if I ignored the fact that the writing style/tone did not seem like Dennis (plus, the message was WAY too short for it to be Dennis <grin>), I seriously doubted that Dennis would have gone to London right now due to a number of factors.  Plus, it still had that "scammy" feel to it much like the good old "Nigerian" scam...albeit had much more of the personal touch like any good phishing scam does these days.

These types of scams are rather prevalent these days.  Basically, you should be suspicious of any email address that asks for money or sensitive information (SSN, bank/credit card number, login ID and/or password, etc)...even if looks like it came from what appears to be trusted source.  Considering how easy it is to spoof an email address (I bet I could easily send an email message to the list that made it seem like it came from you), email is not exactly what I would consider a "trusted source of communication" for sensitive information.  For any email message that asks for money or sensitive information, you should always confirm by other means (such as a telephone call).

Scott