Pool Seismic Loads

List,

I am looking at an existing 11 story concrete structure which will be converted to residential units with a new 100’x25’x4’ pool on the roof.  My greatest concern is the effect the pool will have on the lateral system.  My question is: do pools need to be included in the calculation of mass dead loads for seismic forces on the building?  If I look at ASCE 7-05, I’m lead to believe that pools are NOT dead loads but rather live loads (although the code does not explicitly state this).  I’ve also looked at ACI 350.3-01 (Seismic Design of Liquid Containing Concrete Structures), but this publication seems to be aimed more at the design of walls and floors containing liquids, not building lateral systems supporting pools as is my case.

I would appreciate if anyone knows of a SPECIFIC CODE REFERENCE addressing the issue.  I’ve already searched various other engineering websites and found that there are many opinions on the subject, but no solid answers.

Thanks in advance,

Ross Stuart
Structural Engineer, EIT

P 215.569.2900 Ext. 3381