Re: "Non-penetrating" roof support for Solar PV

David,
Very plausible but possibly not acceptable to building authorities and
owners considering the (fragile) nature of roof systems (e.g. shear load
transfer through membrane, insulation, drainage layer, vapour barrier to
deck) and the dynamic nature of the load effects. It is possible that it is
not appropriate to transfer wind loads by friction.

Is anyone aware of any tests that have been done to confirm this approach?
Should special precautions be taken to fasten the BUR in the area of the
load? Is retro-fit fastening the BUR any less expensive than
through-fastening the PV assembly?

Which leads to my next thought ...
Who is responsible for determining the wind load on a PV assembly - either
laying "flat" near the roof surface or elevated on stands? Okay, I know that
I am ultimately responsible for the loads that I consider but I haven't met
a PV installer who knows what a wind tunnel looks like. There are a lot of
these roof-mounted PV assemblies being installed and it appears that we are
currently relying on "it hasn't failed, yet" to justify our individual
practices.

Is anyone aware of any publicly accessible guidance on PV assembly wind load
effects? Any work in progress on research or industry "standards", etc? Any
private work that you are willing to discuss?

Regards
Paul
--
PRansom(--nospam--at)PaulRansom.ca