Tropical wood design values

You are correct, they are average ultimate values. There is no easy way to calculate allowable values for them, primarily because Ipe is not graded to US grade rules. Here’s an FAQ that might help a little, which includes contact info for one of the scientists at FPL: http://awc.org/helpoutreach/faq/faqFiles/Tropical_Hardwoods.html

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.

Vice President, Technology Transfer

American Wood Council

803 Sycolin Road, Suite 201

Leesburg, VA 20175

bshowalter(--nospam--at)awc.org

202-463-2769
www.awc.org

newAWClogofinaltextrightcaps-small

The American Wood Council (AWC) develops internationally recognized standards for wood design and construction. Its efforts with building codes and standards, engineering and research, and technology transfer ensure proper application for traditional and engineered wood products.

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA/AWC standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA/AWC standards are only available through a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.