Mat Foundation with Hydronic Heating System

Greetings list,

My client would like a hydronic heating system (3/4" Pex @ 12" E/W) to be incorporated into the 12" mat slab foundation specified for their residence. I am considering placing the tubing just below the top layer of slab rebar, but my gut tells me it needs to be in a separate topping slab. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Michel Blangy, P.E.
Hermosa Beac, CA