Re: hillside construction costs

Actually it could be more.   I was the SE on stabilizing a house in Diamond Heights.  I think the cost was around $900,000.  Had a good geotech but the initial excavation to rock was estimated at eight feet.   We designed for 12 feet but the final excavation to rock was around 25 feet.  Believe the adjacent houses on each side were also sliding so we had lot line retaining walls.  (It's on Gold Mine Hill - you might be able to see the configuration from the court road below.)   The house experienced Loma Prieta.  (Had some 36" diameter piers anchoring the house to the hill at the top of the slope.)

You really need to get a cost of just the fix or stabilization before you do anything else.   Unless the views are something to die for or a super "location location location", the client may change his mind.

Neil