Re: Direction of Seismic Loading

Use 100% in the most critical direction and ignore the 100-30 rule.  The 100-30
rule was a way to sidestep finding the most critical direction.

This was the understanding when this provision was first introduced into the
1988 UBC.

The 100-30 rule was calibrated using a 4 column braced frame structural system,
loaded on the diagonal, which would have given 100% and 41%.  Somebod on the
committee developing the provision made the case for 30% instead of 41%.

What confuses the discussion is that there has been some discussion by the
geotechs of directionality of the earthquake when  finding the magnitude of
ground motion.  This is probably what Harold was thinking about.  This issue is
reflected in the magnitude of the base shear equation and doe not apply to the
100-30 rule.  This was clarified at the 2010 SEAOC Convention.

Mark Gilligan SE
510-548-8029
mark(--nospam--at)gilligan.name

1                                Message:0001                            1