'10 CBC Retaining Walls

To All,

Remember the good old days of the '07 CBC ? You could avoid having to design retaining walls for seismic forces if the wall was less than 12' in height, (Section 1806A of the '07 CBC). Am I correct in concluding that in the new CBC this exception is now out?

Also, for those of you who design retaining walls, note Sec. 1807.2.1 where we now have to design for active pressure on the earth side of a key, (this feature is in the new RetainPro ver. 9.2).

So, is it the opinion of others that we now have to design ALL retaining walls for seismic loading, and, if so, does this then require a geotechnical investigation for your backyard 4 foot high retaining wall to get the seismic design values?

Thanks in advance,

Larry Hauer S.E.