From: Conrad Harrison [mailto:sch.tectonic(--nospam--at)bigpond.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:26 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: 10 story wood building

Hi Joe,

Not aware of the project. Sounds like something to look into though, even if
it is in Victoria. (theres a certain rivalry between SA and VIC.)

Our national residential timber framing code (AS1684) only goes to 2
storeys. The multi-residential code expands that to an amazing 3 storeys.

http://www.timber.net.au/index.php/timber-framing-as-1684-multi-residential.
html

Found this newspaper article:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/wooden-highrise-to-bring-cheers-to-old-bre
wery-site-20110227-1ba1p.html

Doesn't say if they got council approval though. Imported technologies are
all fine but can take several years of local testing before approval is
granted: and can prove compliance with the Building Code of Australia (BCA).
So any existing fire testing reports may not be acceptable. Newspapers often
report projects which get stalled, then cancelled. So an interesting project
to watch.

I will keep an eye on future issues of "Engineers Australia" magazine
articles.

Regards
Conrad Harrison
B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust