From: "Jorge Jimenez" <jajimenez(--nospam--at)onelinkpr.net>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Zero stress column

I have a column resisting heavy loads in an industrial warehouse. The =
lower
part of the column should be removed to allow a projected circulating =
space.
I am designing a reaction frame to carry out the load from the upper =
part of
the column, with an special movable connection intended to reduce the
vertical movement above the column cutting point in the moment of the
cut-off of the lower part of the column. The perfect moment for the =
cutting
of the columns is when compression stresses become near to zero. It is =
not
easy to estimate closely the existing load on the column. I am wondering =
if
it's possible to detect the change from compression to tension in the =
column
with not invasive tests. Something able to detect any special =
characteristic
of the steel internal structure being different in compression and in
tension. Any help?