RE: Vortex Shedding on Stacks - Vertical Strakes

I came upon a great resource: Flow Induced Vibration - By Robert Blevins

Vertical strakes are not as effective as helical strakes.  I already knew that, but he lists various mitigation methods.

Regards, Harold Sprague

From: AD(--nospam--at)freese.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:37:30 -0600
Subject: RE: Vortex Shedding on Stacks - Vertical Strakes

Harold

About 40 years ago, we called out for the manufacturer of 100’ tall light poles to design and fabricate these poles.  We only limited the deflection under 100 mph wind.  After a few summers of withstanding light steady southerly breezes around 8-10 mph, the light fixtures (circular cluster of lights) started falling down.  After a number of suggestions from us, they came up with three vertical strakes of 1”x”x1/4”? angles, the first one went a third of the way up,  the second was 120 degrees away and went up another third of the way and last one (another 120 degrees off) went up the rest of the way.  That completely eliminated the vortex shedding and we’ve never had any more problems.  Hope that helps.

Tony Diaz