Re: 10 story wood building

Buddy,
Thanks for the link.  I'll look at it.  Sounds interesting, though I still have my doubts about it...
David

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:47 AM, AWC Info <Info(--nospam--at)awc.org> wrote:

They don’t use columns. The structural elements are called cross laminated timber. Imagine plywood on steroids. Using 1x or 2x material, they laminate them together so that each layer is at a right angle to the other. The lumber has to be dried to about 10-12% MC prior to laminating so it maintains dimensional stability.

There’s an article coming out in the next issue of Wood Design Focus about it. For those of you who don’t get that, here’s a link to a document on the FPInnovations website that addresses design issues:

http://www.forintek.ca/public/pdf/Special_Pub_Order_Form/SP52CrossLaminatedTimber_the%20boook.pdf

HTH

Buddy