Re: Slab Thickness NDT

Rich,

Typical methods would be either Ultrasonic (i.e. ultrasonic-echo, impact-echo, or pulse-echo) or radar (i.e. short-pulse, impulse, or ground penetrating).

Thomas Hunt

From:        <SEAInt05(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>
To:        <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date:        03/08/2011 07:30 PM
Subject:        Slab Thickness NDT

I’m looking for a way to measure a slab-on-ground thickness without taking cores.  Is there a NDT method that I can specify that is accurate.  I asked about GPR (ground penetrating radar) but I was told it is only accurate to an inch.

I have a slab-on-ground that was supposed to be 6” thick.  Cores taken show it to range from 4” to 7”.  The owner would like to find out what thickness was actually given to them.  I thought about using GPR and making a contour type map of the slab for thickness.  Finding within an inch accuracy is too big of an error.  The slab is poured on a vapor barrier so it has a fairly smooth bottom.

Any non-destructive methods to be recommended that have a better accuracy than one inch?

Thanks.

Rich