floods, hurricanes and earthquakes, nuclear power

Conrad,
Yes. Comments on the events in Japan and, still fresh in the memory, New
Zealand, have been strangely missing.

I have some history in the nuclear industry in Canada. A relative is
currently working with the nuclear facility operator in Ontario, Canada. We
can guess at what is reality beyond the fear mongering splashed across the
media headlines but we also know that the Japanese facility operators are
facing an enormous and stressful task with difficult choices. They are
engineers and scientists and know their work - trust that they are making
appropriate choices.

Blow-by-blow information that is informative but not overwhelming:
http://www.iaea.org/press

As one media talking head said, "We are all trying to become instant nuclear
physicists in order to make sense of the situation."

So-called melt-down is not the worst scenario but on the other hand we will
not be seeing mushroom clouds, either.

Condolences to all who have endured losses. Provide support in the best way
that you can.

Paul

--
Paul Ransom, P.Eng.