From: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: Low-cost FEA
Date: 03/22/11 18:22

> I meant to add that I&#39;d be interested to know how much they differ
from ANSYS since that seems to be the FEA standard.Thanks again,IkerOn Tue,
Mar 22, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Iker Danolcam &lt;iker.danolcam(--nospam--at)gmail.com&gt;
wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience working with code-aster and
meshing/visualization tools? Elmer?
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Bill Polhemus &lt;bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc&gt;
wrote:
> Risa isn&#39;t suited to the kind of analysis he needs. NOTE: I&#39;m not
picking on Risa. The statement applies as well for most of the mainstream
structural analysis programs. Their Finite Element capability is limited.

Mark Johnson &lt;markajohn(--nospam--at)yahoo.com&gt; wrote:

> RISA has a 2D version. (risatech.com)  Don&#39;t know the cost.

FEATo: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

> Date: Monday, March 21, 2011, 12:53 PMI began assuming we could use that
and we have ended up with some point load conditions I no longer feel
comfortable using Roark&#39;s with.On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:36 PM, T.
William (Bill) Allen, S.E. &lt;Bill(--nospam--at)allendesigns.com&gt; wrote:

> Woiuldn&#39;t Roark and a spreadsheet do the job?
>   T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.
>

> ALLEN DESIGNSConsulting Structural Engineers
>

> 32302 Camino Capistrano, #206San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
>

> V (949) 248-8588&bull;F (949) 209-2509

Low-cost FEA

>  Surely ANSYS would work for us if we decide to spend so much, but we
don&#39;t have any students on staff and don&#39;t have access to the
student version (not to mention this is for professional use.)
> Thanks for the response; it still answers my question in a sense as it
sounds as there are no 2D analysis software. I will check out the LISA
software suggested by Conrad.
&lt;ggg(--nospam--at)bigpond.net.au&gt; wrote:

> REPLY: Dear Iker, If I understand you correctly, you wish to acquire a
small-capacity
> FEA program that costs little. First of all, most codes I know are 3D,
which means that if you wish
> to limit yourself to 2D, you would be able to solve larger problems. Many
claims of ease-of-use are made, but the fact remains that
> if you have a couple of examples on hand, everything becomes easy. With
this in mind I would recommend that you get a student&#39;s version of
ANSYS.
> For about $100 you will have a hell of 2D capacity.(I may not be current
with the price.)
> Sincerely Gregory from Oz  QUESTION:
>  Dear List,I need to do some calculations for interior structural glass
for a client.We don&#39;t have FEM software since we normally do 2D frame
analysis and so
> would like a recommendation for basic (planar) FEM analysis.Budget for
this software is tight since we won&#39;t have a largequantity/complexity of
this kind of work, so cost and ease of use areimportant.