Off Topic Reference needed

One of my friend's daughter has applied for admission to post graduate education in electrical engineering in USA and she has already received favorable responses from a few Universities. She would like to consult with some electrical engineering professors to understand the state of the art so as to be able to select areas of promising fields to pursue her studies. Although this list is populated by Civil and Structural engineers, some of you may know of experts in the electrical engineering academia (in USA). If so, could you please share that information? I will pass it on to my friend.

Thanks.

Rajendran