appearance grade doug fir

I have a client who wants to use an appearance grade DF lumber for framing the roof of his room addition as it will be exposed from the underside and he is going for a very clean aesthetic.  I cannot seem to find anything definitive about the structural integrity for appearance grade wood.  I would presume that a clear grade would actually be stronger than even a no. 1, maybe even better than a select structural because it has fewer inperfections and is generally from older growth wood, but does anyone know if I could reasonably estimate the structural capacity of this wood?  Are there possibly other issues that I am overlooking with the structural capacity of appearance grade wood?  We are the designers and builders of this project and I don't want there to be any issues with the design, nor any problems in plan review or during inspections (grade stamp on the lumber).

thank you for any thoughts or opinions.

KRoberts
San Diego, CA