Live Load Reduction

Are you using ASD or LRFD? We did a comparison of various load combinations a few years ago that revealed some efficiencies using LRFD load combinations. Here’s a link to the paper: http://www.awc.org/publications/Papers/WDF15-4-LRFDvASD.pdf

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Vice President, Technology Transfer

American Wood Council

803 Sycolin Road, Suite 201

Leesburg, VA 20175

bshowalter(--nospam--at)awc.org

202-463-2769
www.awc.org

The American Wood Council (AWC) develops internationally recognized standards for wood design and construction. Its efforts with building codes and standards, engineering and research, and technology transfer ensure proper application for traditional and engineered wood products.

*********************
The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA/AWC standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA/AWC standards are only available through a formal process outlined in
AF&PA's standards development procedures.

*********************

*****************

List,

I have bearing walls carrying 4 floors and a roof.  The IBC doesn't provide=  me much guidance on how to reduce the LL to the walls and footings, aside=  from the 20 percent reduction allowed by 1607.9.1.1 or 1607.9.2.2.  The=  walls below grade are 11 feet deep and 20" thick, so they are well capable=  of distributing any non-uniform load; but I should probably have a=  defensible calculation to justify anything more than 20 percent.

=

Any ideas?

=

Thanks,

Mike Hemstad, PE, SE

Meyer Borgman Johnson

Minneapolis, Minnesota

=

Michael Hemstad, PE, SE | Associate | MEYER BORGMAN JOHNSON | d 612 604=

3621 | c 612 309 6360| SEE STRUCTURE.

www.mbjeng.com