Re: Tsunami and the Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant

Thanks Harold. This is an exceptionally important topic for me because of my nuclear background.

Our local nuclear sector is having an all hands on deck mode of operation, we will probably be doing a total seismic reevaluation for our plants.
In our standards, there is a direct prohibition to build NPPs in tsunami prone areas, but to my understanding Japan has not had any choice with this.

I had some contact with acquaintances from Japan right after the quake, but that was mainly about our previous Chernobyl experience and decontamination issues.
We are going to have a meeting at IAEA this September and I hope to get some first hand details about the whole thing.