From: byainc(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:byainc(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:33 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: CMU wall reinforcing

Are you using running bond? If that's the case, yes. If you use stack bond, it's min 24". Running bonds are not as reliable.

From: Drew Morris <dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:25:27
To: SEAINT<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: CMU wall reinforcing

I have a pair of short special reinforced CMU walls that are being designed under SDC D.  Based on the masonry code (TMS 402-08), the vertical and horizontal spacing has to be less than the wall length/3 (1.17.3.2.6).  For a wall 2'-8" long, I come up with a spacing of 10.7"
oc, i.e. every cell.  Am I interpreting this correctly.  There is minimal shear and for out of plane loading, the verts can be at 24" oc.

--
*Drew Morris, PE*| /Project Engineer/
Ph: (907)274-2236 | Fax: (907)274-2520 | Web: www.bbfm.com <http://www.bbfm.com/>

E–¶§Ãj¢–²ŠjjžÊ‰®º°¡¶¡º®–®HH®Nn‰¡¢Jrzj¢¶ÿ±žƒj·¥²ž±ž±žz­z—±¶z¶¹qjÉzµŠºº®²1²ÊŠ¢yµ†ÿŠ