Re: CMU wall reinforcing

I though so also.  The masonry code has a maximum bond beam spacing of 48" for running bond and 24" for stacked bond.

On 4/27/2011 9:04 AM, Joe Venuti wrote:
Ben
I thought running bond was better than stacked bond since there is no interlock of the block and that is why you need reinforcement more often.

Joe Venuti,  P.E.
Joven Engineering
La Quinta,  CA
jovenengr(--nospam--at)verizon.net
-----Original Message-----
From: byainc(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:byainc(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:33 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: CMU wall reinforcing

Are you using running bond? If that's the case, yes. If you use stack bond, it's min 24". Running bonds are not as reliable.

From: Drew Morris <dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:25:27
To: SEAINT<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: CMU wall reinforcing

I have a pair of short special reinforced CMU walls that are being
designed under SDC D.  Based on the masonry code (TMS 402-08), the
vertical and horizontal spacing has to be less than the wall length/3
(1.17.3.2.6).  For a wall 2'-8" long, I come up with a spacing of 10.7"
oc, i.e. every cell.  Am I interpreting this correctly.  There is
minimal shear and for out of plane loading, the verts can be at 24" oc.

--
Drew Morris, PE | Project Engineer
BBFM