Heat resistant concrete.

I am not an expert in the field, but I know that a compressed column may fail by explosive spalling
when exposed to temp above 300 deg C. The high-strength concrete is worse than normal-strength.
The spalling is ascribed to entrapped water.
Are you saying that in a fireplace it will not do that?
The temperature will easily be above 300 deg C.
Is it the lack of stress that will prevent disintegration?

Gregory from Oz