Shear Tab Design Methods in the 13th Edition of the AISC Manual (2005)

Dear fellow SEAINT members:   I am in the process of finalizing an in-depth review of the procedures on the design of shear tabs in the 13th Edition of the AISC Manual (2005) and the papers and reports that were used to develop the method.   These methods are on Pages 10-101 to 10-104 of the AISC Manual and the associated tables are on Pages 10-105 to 10-121.

I would appreciate any input you can provide on your experiences with using these procedures.  If you like to send your comments in confidence to me that will be fine too. Please use astaneh(--nospam--at)ce.berkeley.edu to mail your comments to me.  I will take the identifiable items out of your e-mail and post it here for the benefit of SEAINT membership.  Even if you like to remain anonymous with me also, please feel free to send me your comments using anonymous e-mail account (*.yahoo, *.gmail, ..).

Either way,  it will be beneficial to state a bit about your professional background and whether or not you are a P.E. and/or S.E.  and how many years since graduation as a civil engineer you have been involved i design of steel structures?
.

Basically what I like to know is what do you think of this method as structural engineering professional.

I appreciate receiving your comments by the end of this week, it will be very helpful.

Best wishes as always.

A. Astaneh, Ph.D., P.E., Professor
UC Berkeley
www.ce.berkeley.edu/~astaneh