Re: seaint Digest for 14 May 2011

Sure: you just have to attach the 4 x 12 so that it can't slide and it can't roll. May put Simpson plates both sides between the 4 x 14 and the 2 x 12's/

You need to avoid creating a hinge between the top plate and the 4 x 12 for lateral loads. Also could coffer teh edges of the ceiling and put blocking or slant braces. / eric