Re: 4x12 on top double top plate

On the walls parallel to the direction of the lateral forces, won't the sheathing transfer the lateral loads from the 4x12 top plate into the bottom plate.  You could design the clip connection between the 4x12 and existing top plate for this transfer assuming the sheathing isn't present.  If these walls are exterior walls, then you would have to look at the out-of-plane forces on the walls and the required tension/compression forces on the connection between the bottom of the 4x12 and the existing top plate.