Floor response spectrum calculation

Now we have the two universally accepted methods to do dynamic analysis of a structure that both rely on modal decomposition: spectral method and direct dynamic method (or whatever you call it, time-history or transient).

If there is a task to calculate the response spectrum at a given node of the structure (over frequency domain) from a given ground motion record (accelerogram), do I get it right that the only way to do this is to perform a full-blown time-history analysis?
The logic behind this is, to calculate the spectrum you have to have the actual response record at the desired node, and the spectral approach won't produce this kind of information. Is this right?

Any reference to a textbook would be a very nice thing to have. Many thanks in advance and sorry that I have flooded the list with my threads.
Alex.

P.s. If you ever need to convert an acceleration record from one text format to another, drop me a note. I have programmed a _vbscript_ to do this for our local format and hopefully will be able to tailor it to another format.
I even have a code to produce a response spectrum from any amount of time-history earthquake data (still testing this though).

--
Alexander Bausk
MSc Structural engineering, Ph.C. Engineering